ENGLISH & LITERATURE
What We Desire
Every Hildan an Engaged 21st Century ELL Learner
Subjects We Offer
- English Language
- Literature in English
How We Nurture
Exposure – In the English Language & Literature (ELL) classroom, the pedagogical emphasis on Multiliteracies, Metacognition, and Inquiry through Dialogue helps to develop knowledge of language and ensure effective and affective language use for learners, empowering them to achieve 21st century competencies across all areas of language learning.
Experience – The disciplinary thinking process of Awareness, Appropriation and Autonomy guides learners in language acquisition and application of language skills in real-world contexts taking into consideration the purpose, audience, context and cultures in which communication takes place.
The learning platforms include:
- Sec. 1 Drama In Education Programme
- Sec. 1 Oracy Programme
- Sec. 2 Hildan Exploration
- Sec. 2 In-class Debates
- Sec. 3 Hildan Advocacy
Extension – To deepen learning, selected groups of students participate in special programmes and competitions to showcase their language proficiency.
- The Nellie Mitchell Talent Development Programme (NMP) – Art-English Literature Symbolism (click here)
- Community Problem Solving Solving Competition, Oracy and Writing Competitions
- Oracy Competitions
- Writing Competitions
- Unity Young Writers Festival 2023, 1st Place: Poetry
- Live On Festival (LOF) 2023, Winner of Essay (Senior) Competition
See also: Applied Learning Programme